| Home| |Contact Us| |Public News| |Site Map|         A| A| A        

Larder Lake Living Larder Lake Administration Larder Lake Visiting Larder Economic Development
Living in Larder Lake





Living in Larder Lake

Geography

Located on the north shore of Larder Lake, in Northeastern Ontario, the Town of Larder Lake is approximately 15 kilometers west of the border of the province of Quebec. The local terrain varies from hilly to flat, mostly wooded with coniferous forests, and dotted by numerous lakes and streams. The land formation known as "the height of land" runs through the area. Waters north of the height of land flow north into Hudson Bay and waters south flow into the Great Lakes system.

Lake Characteristics

Thermal stratification: Water temperature drops from 70 degrees Fahrenheit at the surface to 43 degrees Fahrenheit near the bottom. The 28 degree temperature drop (70° F to 42° F) between the 25 foot and 40 foot depth identify the thermocline, the layer of water in which there is the greatest drop in temperature.

Water Quality: Dissolved oxygen content is constant in the upper 40 feet of water, ranging between 7.0 and 8.0 parts per million. A surface 7.8 ph value shows an alkaline characteristic in relation to hydrogen ion composition in the water. Conductivity readings determine a dissolved solids concentration of 124 parts per million. A secchi disc disappears from view below the surface of this light brown coloured water.

Fish: Species of fish that can be found in Larder Lake are Lake Trout, Walleye (Pickerel), Northern Pike, Perch, Lake Herring, Whitefish, Small Mouth Bass and a number of species of the Cyprinid (minnow). The lake has a reputation of providing excellent Lake Trout fishing, especially in winter. Deep waters in narrows and off steep shorelines are favored by local anglers. Northern Pike are found in shallower bays and weed beds. Walleye (Pickerel) are found around shoal areas.

Climate

The regional climate is best described as modified continental with short, warm summers and long cold winters. Average daily temperatures in summer reach a maximum of 24° C with average winter temperatures reaching a maximum of -23.6° C. The area receives an average of 58.74 cm of rain and 288.9 cm of snow per year. Current weather conditions can be found through Environment Canada Weather.

Population

(2011 Census information) Total Population: 684

Workforce

According to 1991 census information, 67% of the 260 working males were employed in mining, forestry, processing, fabricating, construction trades or transportation. Of the 150 females employed, 63% were involved in sales and service occupations. The remaining 37% are working in teaching, health care, social sciences and managerial administrative positions.

Transportation

Road: The community is conveniently located on Highway 66 which links the Northern Route of the Trans-Canada Highway between Ontario and Quebec. This provides for easy shipping of goods to markets in Eastern and Western Canada and to Southern Ontario. With the northern route of the Trans-Canada Highway traversing the area, proximity to other major urban centers is as follows:

Kirkland Lake, Ontario
28 km
17 mi
Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec
57 km
35 mi
Toronto, Ontario
582 km
361 mi
Montreal, Quebec
694 km
430 mi

Air: There are 3 airports within 65 km of the community in Rouyn-Noranda (Quebec), Kirkland Lake, and Earlton.

Rail: A rail line, operated by Ontario Northland Railways, intersects the area with linkages to the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Canadian National Railway.